BBI3215
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

BBI3215

Introduction to Psycholinguistics

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Discussion 3 (Week 8)

Go down 
+15
eelynn16
sayid_5058
nadia_balqis
Fahyn Hisam
dieyanarahman
kiroshnie
DHouseGleek
Mia Shamsudin
Nabil_Usagina
SyuhadaRodzali
Hanani Hamdan
Wen Lee
siayning
tunhamizah
Admin
19 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

Discussion 3 (Week 8) Empty
PostSubject: Discussion 3 (Week 8)   Discussion 3 (Week 8) Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 6:00 am

Discuss your experience of either learning a second language sequentially or simultaneously.
Back to top Go down
https://bbi3215.forumms.net
tunhamizah

PostSubject: Re: Discussion 3 (Week 8)   Discussion 3 (Week 8) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 6:33 am

I learn second language sequentially, which begin during my kindergarten but I started to understand the grammar of English when I was in my secondary school years Laughing At home we seldom speak in English, so what I can say is that I learned it by watching television, like cartoons and also using CDs that my parents bought for me. I also started learning Arabic when I was in standard 1 until 6, then continue taking it as foreign language in the university Smile

Last edited by tunhamizah on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
siayning

PostSubject: experience in learning a second language   Discussion 3 (Week 8) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 6:38 am

before i enter kindergarden,i learn mandarin from my parent and that is my L1. once i enters kindergarden, im exposed to english and malay language at the same time.so, i think that i learn my second language in two conditions that is sequential and simutaneous learning situations. i've learn malay n english after my first language (sequential) and follow by learning english and malay at the same time (simutaneously). in university, i've learn japanese language and once again i undergo sequential learning situations. Wink
Back to top Go down
Wen Lee

PostSubject: Sequential + Simultaneous Bilingualism   Discussion 3 (Week 8) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 6:41 am

Embarassed I learned very slowly....
I only started to speak when I was 3 years old.
Before that my grandpa even thought that I may be born mute Crying or Very sad

tongue So, when I was 3 years old, I started to speak both Mandarin and Hakka simultaneously.

bounce When I entered preschool, which is when I was 4 years old, I started to speak English and Malay simultaneously.

Arrow Hence, I also learn languages sequentially since Mandarin and Hakka are learned before Malay and English.

Mad Since I am a Hokkien, I try to learn it nowadays. But I really have difficulties in learning Hokkien, I can't even count from 1 to 10 in Hokkien. This is due to the fact that my dad did not and also does not speak Hokkien with me often enough.

bom My Korean, which I learned as a foreign language is even much better than my Hokkien><

Last edited by Wen Lee on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hanani Hamdan

PostSubject: Learning language experience.   Discussion 3 (Week 8) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 6:43 am

Question not quite sure.... grew up with my mother speaking english and malay while my dad speaking only malay... simultaneous learning is what i've first experience before sequential.... the simultaneous learning in within english language and malay language (formal and informal learning environment) while the sequential learning is when i learn spanish language in university... bounce i believe that simultaneous learning are more comfy rather than sequential as when the languages were learn at the same time we can compare and it is easier to learn. while when it is sequential we tend to have negative transfer between the language being learn and the previous language(s). Wink while, when i learn using the sequential method it is harder to grap the concept of the learning as it being mixed by the two previous language concept.... drunken
Back to top Go down
SyuhadaRodzali

PostSubject: my experience in learning a second language   Discussion 3 (Week 8) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 6:44 am

my experience in learning a second language start with simultaneous learning as my father will spoke to in English while my mother will spoke to me in Malay language. my father also bought a karaoke set for me just to help me pronounce my words better in English. he used a very different way to teach me English and it is very fun. while I'm in my school, I learn English and Malay simultaneously throughout my schooling years. starting from standard 1, I learn Arabic language until form 3. i learn this language sequentially. the same goes to Korean and Spanish language. I learn the two language sequentially. I took Spanish language during my first year of degree and during the second year, I took Korean language. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Nabil_Usagina

PostSubject: Sequentially learning    Discussion 3 (Week 8) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 6:46 am

Laughing
According to my experience acquiring and learning my second language, I learned English and Japanese sequentially, which is after acquiring my mother tongue.

Both of my parents speak Malay therefore i exposed to the Malay more than my second languages. I learned English through cartoons preferred by my parents, and then excel through learning in the classroom situation. I started learning English at the age of 6 years old.

After mastering Malay and English, i, then, interested in learning another foreign language which is Japanese, at the age of 13 years old, and this is through exposure of japanese animation by self induction.

Learning languages sequentially enable me to master languages easily one by one. I would not be confused of two foreign languages with my mother tongue as there would not be inteference in between languages.

However, the drawback is that learning process would be slower especially in learning recent language interested as age is getting high and critical.

This differ from when i entered the university, where i learned Spanish later on SIMULTANEOUSLY with another two languages, which are Japanese and English. Nonetheless, this is also effectively works but slower in process.

Discussion 3 (Week 8) I%27m%20Learning%20Japanese[b]
Back to top Go down
Mia Shamsudin

PostSubject: What's the benefit of being BILINGUAL?   Discussion 3 (Week 8) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 6:49 am

Well, i have learnt that there are two conditions for becoming bilinguals which is :
1. Sequentially : second language learned later at school and,
2. Simultaneouslly : exposed to 2 languages at the same time.

Based on my experiences, i learn two languages by two conditions which is by sequentially and simultaneously methods. And i found that learning two languages give lots of benefits to myself. So what is the benefit that i get from being a bilingual?
Raised self esteem. As we all know, English is the internationally language
and it is the main spoken language around the world. So, by learning the two
languages, at least i can communicate with others race by using English
language. Therefore, learning second language given by my parents is really
help me to gain self esteem in communication.
Back to top Go down
DHouseGleek

PostSubject: Side by side: Sequential & Simultaneous   Discussion 3 (Week 8) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 6:49 am

I have experienced both forms of second-language learning as a child. Before I had my formal education, i only spoke English with my parents, but once I entered a Chinese-medium kindergarten, my mother started to converse with me in 2 languages (English and Mandarin), but this practice stopped when my younger sister completed her vernacular Chinese primary eduation. When i was studying in a Chinese school, my mother would speak Mandarin and English (1P-2L), whereas my father would stick to English (1P-1L). As for sequential 2nd language learning, I picked up Malay while studying the subject in school...complicated? Hopefully not... Smile
Back to top Go down
kiroshnie

PostSubject: Re: Discussion 3 (Week 8)   Discussion 3 (Week 8) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 6:50 am

well i've learned my second language sequentially..i'l be speaking my L1 at home with my respective family members and while at school surrounded by friends and teachers, my second language is acquired at such..so i've learned my second language sequentially..
Back to top Go down
dieyanarahman

PostSubject: My Story...   Discussion 3 (Week 8) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 6:51 am

I started learning language simultaneously from my mother and my father. As my mother was from an english school background and my father was from a malay school background.When I entered middle school and high school, i propagate from learning language simultaneously to sequentially.During my schooldays i learnd a more in depth function of malay language and then english language grammar through word order and phonic word teaching. Thus it can be said that i acquire bilingualism through 1P-2L then 1P-1L. bounce
Back to top Go down
Fahyn Hisam

PostSubject: Re: Bilingualism, intelligence, transfer and learning strategies   Discussion 3 (Week 8) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 6:51 am

As for me, I started to learn second language which is English, simultaneously. My mother used to teach me by naming objects in English and as I started school, the learning has became sequentially. Personally, i think I learn much more things in this condition rather than simultaneously rabbit . I practically learn second language thoroughly in classroom environment and specifically, learn the structure of the language in details because at home, my mom only taught me how to speak but she never explains why does the sentence must be constructed with certain rules. Not just that, since I learn English through songs, movies and from peers, I don't really get the gist of how should the English sentence put in words, meaning, I speak the language based on like others do but never knew why does it spoken in that manner and such. So, basically, I learn lots more in sequentially condition hohoho.
Back to top Go down
nadia_balqis

PostSubject: Re: Discussion 3 (Week 8)   Discussion 3 (Week 8) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 6:52 am

Obviously my first language is Malay language, and then i learn English sequentially through formal education and informal education. Smile
Back to top Go down
sayid_5058

PostSubject: sequential learning   Discussion 3 (Week 8) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 6:53 am

Well, from what I can remember and what my parents told me, I had sequential learning in getting languages.
Malay is my first language but I learnt English first as I was born in Texas.
So, people there, tend to talk to me in English, of course.
I learnt Malay when I got back to Malaysia and lived, alternately, with both of my grandparents in Selangor and Kelantan.
Therefore, my Malay accent tend to get weird and mixed up as I got two different dialects; Kelantanese and Javanese.
After I'm a bit older, I got interested in Japanese and did self learning on it.
I'm still trying to get a stronger hold on that language.
So, I'm glad that I am a sequential learner as I can get hold of each language one by one and hope I can be good in all the languages I'm interested in. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
eelynn16

PostSubject: Sequentially and simultaneously learning   Discussion 3 (Week 8) Icon_minitimeSat Apr 21, 2012 12:18 pm

I learn my second language sequentially. My parents speak only Chinese with me at home. However, they speak Cantonese (dialect) between themselves. Therefore, i understand and know how to speak in Cantonese as well. Besides that, i also understand Hakka (dialect) because my grandparents ( from my mom side) speak it to me. Although i cant speak fluently in Hakka but i can understand it 100%. I understand Hokkien (dialect) as well and i learn it through dramas series. I learn English and Malay when i am in the age of five in kindergarten. Moreover, i learn a additional foreign language which is French when i am in University. Therefore, i learn second language sequentially whereas i learn all the dialects simultaneously Very Happy
Back to top Go down
waiyee90

PostSubject: simultaneous or sequential learning   Discussion 3 (Week 8) Icon_minitimeSun Apr 22, 2012 6:17 am

As for me..i learn my languages sequentially. Due to the fact that my parents only speaks English at home when i was young, i was exposed to that language first..i only started to learn Mandarin when i enter my primary school which is a chinese school. I remember when i was entered that school, i don have any friends, probably because i don speak Mandarin and all of the students there don speak English. So i was consider as a misfit there at the first half of the year. But after 6 months or so i started to learn Mandarin and are able to communicate with it as well..there is when my life starts to get gradually better and i made alot of friends then. Hokkien and Cantonese on the other hand was learned by watching TV and communicating with my grandparents and relatives.. Very Happy eventhough both of my parents are cantonese and hokkien respectively, they never speak both of the dialect when i was young..but dono y they start to speak to me and brothers using those dialects now..hmmm i wonder...... Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Jing_Wen

PostSubject: Re: Discussion 3 (Week 8)   Discussion 3 (Week 8) Icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 7:22 pm

Well, basically i learn my L2 (english) sequentially. Although my mom speak english to me once in a while when I was small... I cannot really remember whether my mom did teach me english or not...

My whole family speak mandarin, hokkien n teochew in our daily life... Only once in a while, my mom speak english to me... That is when she is telling me a little secret... hahahaha... lol!

I start learning English in kindergarten and continues until now... Cool
Back to top Go down
BEEBUMBLE

PostSubject: Re: Discussion 3 (Week 8)   Discussion 3 (Week 8) Icon_minitimeWed Jun 06, 2012 3:06 pm

standard 1-6: I learn english, arabic and a little chinese and it goes on to secondary school

except Chinese.

In UPM : I learn japanese..that was my experience in learning foreign languages rather than Malay

Language.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discussion 3 (Week 8)   Discussion 3 (Week 8) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 11:36 am

Simultaneous bilingualism refers to the experiences of a child who receives language input from two different languages simultaneously beginning either at birth or typically very early on in infancy. I think Simultaneous bilingualism is better because when i was a kid my both my parents use different languages. so, its really easy to me to learn both language in same time without any problems.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Discussion 3 (Week 8)   Discussion 3 (Week 8) Icon_minitimeMon Jun 11, 2012 11:36 am

Simultaneous bilingualism refers to the experiences of a child who receives language input from two different languages simultaneously beginning either at birth or typically very early on in infancy. I think Simultaneous bilingualism is better because when i was a kid my both my parents use different languages. so, its really easy to me to learn both language in same time without any problems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Discussion 3 (Week 8)   Discussion 3 (Week 8) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discussion 3 (Week 8)
Page 1 of 1